Camper In Leadership Program (CILT)
2022 CILT Program Dates
The Camper in Leadership Training is for campers currently enrolled in 10th grade. Please contact the office with any questions.
CILT Session Three
June 27 – July 11
CILT Session Four
July 11 – July 25
CILT Session Five
July 25 – August 8
To be considered for the CILT program, each applicant must complete a camper enrollment form with a $250 deposit. Campers registered for the program will receive a CILT questionnaire and program details in early January via email. The questionnaire should be returned promptly.
CILTs spend two weeks in an intense leadership training program. The expectations and privileges of CILTs are unique to camp. First and most importantly, CILTs are seen by other campers and staff as leaders. CILTs are regarded as role models to other campers. Each CILT is expected to behave in a camp-appropriate manner without significant staff direction and supervision. The CILT program is very demanding physically and mentally. CILTs should be prepared for this adventure so they can tackle the challenge personally and as part of the group. CILTs no longer participate in as many camp programs or other events as they did as campers. The CILT program is the first step towards potentially becoming a CIT or staff member at CIC.
- CILTs participate in leadership skills and outdoor ethics sessions rather than standard camp programming.
- Red Cross First Aid training: This will require some reading plus a written and skills test.
- CILTs plan a Special Event for the rest of camp. It is very important that CILTs are positive and enthusiastic about these events, as others will be feeding off their energy.
- CILTs participate in a Service Project. Previous projects include trail building, fennel removal, and playground refurbishment. CILTs get an opportunity to work together to help make camp and the Island better for everyone.
- A 3-day hike gives future camp leaders an opportunity to leave camp and spend time as a group. The trip is physically demanding. CILTS will hike on the Trans-Catalina Island Trail, covering almost 30 miles in 3 days.
- As the oldest campers in camp, CILTS are role models for other campers through their words, actions, and attitude.
Important note for Parents of CILTs:
CILTs will not be at camp on Parents Day! (It is during their hike!)